Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rolling Over

Having the life of a baby really does seem idyllic. You know, being held and cuddled all day, sleeping when you want to, eating to your heart's content, being celebrated for getting fat and dimply. Must be nice, huh?

On the other hand, think about it: You were in this warm, soothing, protected environment for 9 months, and then just shoved out into a cold, bright, harsh world. Your body is like a limp noodle. You can't even hold your own head up! You have so much to learn and overcome.

I think about this a lot as I watch Ella grow. Her newest achievement is rolling over, but it's a struggle for her to get there. It seems so simple: Baby on the floor. Baby rolls over. Yay, how cute. But it's HARD.

Step 1: Pushing up b/c being face-down is no fun

Step 2: Rolling to one side so I can see better
Step 3: I'm stuck, tired, and frustrated.
Step 4: I did it! This is great! Relief.

But then we flip her over and make her do it all over again...

2 comments:

CorriR said...

so sweet! Love the blog - I'm glad you're doing it and I'll be sure to check up on the little ones! :-)

Leanne said...

Our little Ella can't be rolling over already! Sweet baby girl! I can't wait to see her in action!