So, ever since I've become a mother, I've wanted to stay at home with my kids. In fact, when I was little, if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would say, "A mom." It wasn't until I realized that I was expected to have a career, too, that I decided to be a teacher.
For the past three years, I've been so fortunate to have the "perfect" teaching job, yet still I felt the call to stay home full-time. Unfortunately, Ben and I just really thought it was impossible financially. His job had been super slow for the past year and a half. Every summer, we would crunch the numbers, and then come to the same conclusion: We needed my paycheck and benefits. Plain and simple.
This summer, thanks to an amazing bible study, I learned to put things into perspective, ask myself the tough questions, and listen to what God was telling me. My heart kept tugging at me and whining, "I want to be home with my girls!" But this time, something (or I should say someone) was tugging at me, too. Scriptures I would come across suddenly jumped out at me and screamed, "Do it! Everything will be OK." Discussions in my small group gave me examples of others who had listened and obeyed. I even got signals from situations at work that seemed to push me in that new direction.
As I continued to think and pray on it, I began to realize that it wasn't just me that was wanting this, it was God wanting this, too. So, feeling completely at peace with the decision (yet having no idea what would be in store for our future) I resigned from my job.
I wish I could say that Ben felt at peace about this decision, too, but he didn't. He was nervous and kept wanting us to make a "back-up plan, just in case." The amazing thing, though, is that even though he didn't feel the peace and comfort, he trusted mine. Because of his trust in my faith, he supported my decision completely. What a great hubby!
Anyway, here's the cool part: On the very day that I quit my job, Ben's boss told him, "We're going to make some changes that are going to benefit us both." We didn't know what that meant exactly, but we were optimistic. Then, the following week we found out ... Ben was going to be gaining another subdivision! Having two neighborhoods means more homes that he can build! His hard work and God's perfect timing - what a great combination.
Well, here's the even cooler part: After a few weeks of building in both neighborhoods, Ben mentioned to me, "You know, if I continue to average 4 houses a month, then I will make about '$XX,000' extra this year." Why is this cool? Because that is almost exactly what my salary was!!!!!
We had been waiting for almost two years for Ben to get a raise, get a better neighborhood, make more money, etc. and yet it didn't happen until we stepped out in faith. Then, almost immediately, God rewarded us.
Now for what I think is the coolest part of the whole story: A week or two ago, I overheard Ben telling someone about how his business had been picking up and things were going well. And he told that person, "Yeah, God is good." Ben may not have experienced the faith and peace as early as I did, but he sure does have it now!
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Christina, I'm so happy for you ( but sad for Reed :)) God is good and your girls will be so happy that you are staying home with them! Now that you are staying home you need to upload lots of pictures of the girls :) Enjoy!
That's awesome! I am so excited for you and also respect you so much for trusting and having faith. That's so hard to do, but it's awesome when you see the rewards.
You're truly an inspiration. I read your blog and couldn't help tearing up. I admire your courage and faith in God. It's easier to talk the talk, than walk the walk. But you are a true testiment to how great His work can be if you allow Him into your life.
Post a Comment